GPT for Sheets is an AI writer and assistant for Google Sheets. It lets you use ChatGPT directly in Google Sheets. You could think of it as SheetGPT. It is built on top of OpenAI ChatGPT, GPT-3 and GPT-4 models.
GPT for Sheets is extremely powerful at:
|Working with text||Writing text|
Discover GPT functions
The add-on offers many GPT functions for different use-cases. You can discover them by typing
=GPT_ in a cell.
GPT_SUMMARIZE are particularly well suited to Google Sheets.
Why use GPT for Sheets instead of ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is a chatbot interface, which is great to learn and play with GPT. But you probably do most of your work in real document editors like Google Sheets because your data is already in Google Sheets.
Using GPT for Sheets will save you a lot of time by allowing you to:
- Get many variations quickly
- Apply prompts to Sheets tabular data and get results as tables
- Structure your prompts in Google Sheets
- Save answers in Sheets for easier retrieval
- Avoid constant copy/pasting in ChatGPT
- Benefit from all the Google Sheets features, including real-time collaboration